Farm Hand Required
Castle Park School is seeking a dedicated and experienced Farm Hand to oversee the animal husbandry operations of our new school farm.
The Farm Hand will be responsible for managing the care and well-being of our animals, coordinating with the Vet for vaccinations and health checks, ensuring compliance with the Department of Agriculture regulations, and maintaining the necessary supplies for animal feed.
This is a part-time position, covering 7 days a week with a maximum of 2 hours per day. Holiday relief will be provided. The hourly rate is competitive and negotiable based on experience.
1. Provide daily morning and evening care and maintenance for animals on the school farm, including feeding, cleaning, and ensuring their general welfare.
2. Monitor the health and behaviour of animals, promptly identifying and addressing any signs of illness or distress.
3. Collaborate with the Vet to schedule and coordinate vaccinations, health checks, and necessary medical treatments for the animals.
4. Ensure compliance with all relevant Department of Agriculture regulations and guidelines pertaining to animal welfare, hygiene, and record-keeping.
5. Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of animal health, vaccinations, and treatments.
6. Order and manage animal feed supplies, bedding, and other necessary items.
7. Monitor and maintain the cleanliness and functionality of animal housing areas, including stalls, pens, and enclosures.
8. Where appropriate, oversee the safe and responsible handling of animals during planned educational visits or interactions with pupils and staff.
9. Assist in coordinating farm-related educational activities and events, including farm tours and pupil involvement in animal care.
10. Conduct regular inspections of the farm equipment and report any maintenance or repair needs to the appropriate department.
11. Perform routine maintenance tasks on the farm, such as fence repairs, equipment cleaning, and general farm upkeep.
12. Adhere to all health and safety guidelines and practices while working on the farm.
1. Previous experience in animal husbandry, preferably with a variety of farm animals.
2. Have an appropriate manner when dealing with pupils and parents who will come in contact with the farm.
3. Knowledge of animal health and welfare practices, including experience with administering vaccinations, identifying signs of illness, and providing basic medical care.
4. Familiarity with Department of Agriculture regulations and compliance requirements for animal care and farm operations.
5. Strong organisational and time management skills to ensure smooth daily operations of the farm.
6. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively liaise with the Vet, school staff, and relevant authorities.
7. Ability to work independently and responsibly, with strong attention to detail.
8. Physically fit and able to perform tasks that may involve lifting, bending, and manual labour.
9. Flexibility to work on weekends and adapt to changing schedules or demands.
Note: The specific hours and schedule for this position will be determined based on the needs of the school and the farm.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and qualifications to Mr Stephen McKernan, Principal, Castle Park School firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate all applications, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.